Torque wrench recommendations, please
Doug Miller
2008-05-09 00:53:37 UTC
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.

Doesn't really matter whether it's calibrated in inch-pounds or newton-meters.
I can do the conversion in my head. If I can just find a wrench with the range
I want.

TIA...
Tom Gardner
You need two, I did.
unknown
2008-05-09 03:18:59 UTC
Post by Tom Gardner
Post by Doug Miller
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.
Doesn't really matter whether it's calibrated in inch-pounds or newton-meters.
I can do the conversion in my head. If I can just find a wrench with the range
I want.
TIA...
You need two, I did.
I use two as well. Accuracy is important and that is a large range that not
even I'd trust my Snap-On Digitorque to. You really do need two separate
tools and make sure they do not have a reversing mechanism. Some bone-head
will invariably use it as a ratchet and you will then have to kill him as
that ruins em' every time.

Respects,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.
John Kunkel
2008-05-09 18:31:20 UTC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SNHK
aarcuda69062
IIRC, you work on aircraft?
DoN. Nichols
2008-05-10 01:46:08 UTC
Post by John Kunkel
Post by Doug Miller
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SNHK
Hmm ... only a factor of twelve too large. He was looking for
inch-pounds, not foot-pounds.

And I'm not at all sure that I would trust one to be that
accurate at the bottom end of its range anyway. I think that the advice
of others that it should be done with two separate wrenches is the
better bet.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <***@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Doug Miller
2008-05-10 15:23:40 UTC
Post by John Kunkel
Post by Doug Miller
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SNHK
INCH-pounds. Not foot-pounds.

Jim Wilkins
2008-05-09 22:00:08 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Hoping to find a ratcheting torque wrench, in either 3/8" or 1/4" drive, with
a range of approximately 10 to 100 inch-pounds. No luck so far -- everything
I'm finding that goes down as low as 10 doesn't go any higher than 50.
Doesn't really matter whether it's calibrated in inch-pounds or newton-meters.
I can do the conversion in my head. If I can just find a wrench with the range
I want.
TIA...
I have at least 4, from 150 ft-lbs down to one meant for bicycle
spokes. and I need both extremes to reassemble the auto-locking hubs
on my truck.

A consumer-grade 100 in-lb torque wrench isn't necessarily accurate at
10 and it could let you break something delicate. The rule I heard was
not to use them much below half scale. The beam type may be safer
because you can easily see if it has been overloaded and bent. I
bought a 1/2" 8-point socket to check my click wrenches against a beam
one.

Jim Wilkins