Post by williamhenry
say, one was to acquire a decent sum of mercury, about eight liquid ounces
what are the possibilities?
already thought of poisoning myself , before anyone points out the obvious,
I thought about trying to recreate the aluminum decomposing trick that was
just in popsci
It's easier to tell you what you should NOT do with the mercury rather than
what to do with it. It can be absorbed into the body through the skin or
inhaled through vapors. There won't be much vapor at room temperature but
there will be some. Make sure there is always ventilation. Don't handle it
bare-handed, especially with jewelry on. The gold will form an amalgamation
with the mercury. A shiny piece of gold jewelry will become dull. It will
take a lot of polishing to remove the amalgamation. I know this from
experience. Always wear gloves and personal protective equipment.
I used to have some too, only about an ounce or two but I got rid of it 20
years ago or more and I'm glad I don't have it. It was facinating to fell
the density of such a small quantity and to see it "flow" since it's
cohesive properties are so strong compared to it's weak adhesive properties.
It was also interesting to observe how the meniscus in a container was
upside down compared to water (i.e. with water the water bends up in a
container on the edges, with mercury the edges are lower than the surface).
It was also interesting to see how the drops form into balls almost
immediately. Always wear gloves and personal protective equipment.
You might be able to make a sort of barometer with the mercury using glass
tubing. Always wear gloves and personal protective equipment.
Any mercury you pick up in your body is cumulative. Your body won't expel
it in a short time period. You can get acute poisoning or chronic
poisoning. If you choose to handle mercury, due to the way the human body
is made, a lot of the mercury will end in your brain cells. Ingest enough
and it will cause mental dysfunction. You will have mood swings, may become
irritable, depressed or frightened. You may also experience hallucinations,
memory loss or problems with concentration. Another part of your body which
will be affected is your intestines. Basically the mercury and acidic food
you eat will create tiny holes in your intestines. Bacteria and fungi will
pass through these holes and multiply inside your body. Eventually the
intestinal lining will not work very well due to the contamination.
Diarrhea, bloating, gas and constipation will result. Sometimes mercury
poisoning from overexposure will cause pneomonia, which can be fatal. You
may also experience problems with your teeth and gums. Always wear gloves
and personal protective equipment.
We have to send a letter every year to certain customers stating that no
mercury is present in the castings we sell or in any part of processing of
castings. We don't have any mercury where I work except what is present in
a few laboratory thermometers. We keep these thermometers in sealed wooden
cases and only use them for specific lab tasks. The mercury is totally
enclosed. If they break in handling, always wear gloves and personal
protective equipment to clean them up.
Once you are done playing with it you would be best to sell it. Mercury is
normally sold in "flasks". A flask is a 76 pound unit. The price varies
and may be from 100 to 200 dollars per flask I don't know where you could
sell it nor how you could dispose of it. If you don't already own it, don't
buy it or "obtain" it unless you have a plan on how you will get rid of it.
Always wear gloves and personal protective equipment.