I need plans for a lathe bit grinding jig like this? Can a Home Shop Machinist help me out?
rodjava
2008-11-12 00:22:44 UTC
I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay.
So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow.
I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W0QQitemZ360104956956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360104956956&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Thank you in advance
Rod
San Francisco
Tove Momerathsson
2008-11-12 01:30:45 UTC
Post by rodjava
I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay.
So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow.
I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W0QQitemZ360104956956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360104956956&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
Thank you in advance
Rod
San Francisco
There are plans for a similar jig in the Village Press book "The Shop
Wisdom of D. E. Johnson", pp 2-4. The book is a collection of the
articles Johnson wrote for Home Shop Machinist over the years, so the
article also appeared in HSM some time ago.

Johnson uses a Jergen's square hole sleeve (MSC sells them) to hold
the bit, so unlike the commercial unit, his jig is good only for one
size of bit. If you need two sizes of bit, you'll have to build two
jigs.

Village Press used to sell copies of old articles at a reasonable cost
per page. Don't know if they still do. And you'd probably need the
original HSM article reference, though they might be nice and copy
the three pages from the book. If you're near a library, there's also
Interlibrary Loan which can borrow books for you from other libraries,
though it may take time for the system to find a library with a copy
of Johnson's book.

Tove
rodjava
2008-11-12 01:54:33 UTC
http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W...66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
[...]
Tove,
Thank you for the reference. It's a alternative if no other plans are
available online and for free.
I'm still hoping another HSM will come through.

Rod
rodjava
2008-11-12 03:41:27 UTC
Post by rodjava
http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W...65:12|39:1|240:1318
[...]
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
I thought it out and here is what I plan to do.

Since I already have all sizes of 5c square collets, I bought a 5c
collet block on Ebay for only $25 and will use the way the jig I
mentioned works.
I can easily mill the 10 degrees on at the end of one side. Now I
will have the best of both worlds. A indexable 5c collet block and
lathe bit grinder jig. Oh yeah, I also get a hex body besides the
square body!

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLET-BLOCK-SET-5C-COLLET-COLLETS-NEW_W0QQitemZ390007623066QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item390007623066&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Rod
San Francisco
Al Patrick
2008-11-12 01:41:53 UTC
Post by rodjava
I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay.
So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow.
I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W0QQitemZ360104956956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360104956956&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
Thank you in advance
Rod
San Francisco
It looks simple enough....a square based block (cube) with a square hole in it of proper
size and a 360 degree dial on the end. There's probably a setscrew to lock the bit into
the holder and the holder into the block at the proper angle.

I'm still thinking you may need the tilting table to get the proper rake.
Terry Coombs
2008-11-12 03:51:00 UTC
Post by Al Patrick
Post by rodjava
I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay.
So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow.
I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W0QQitemZ360104956956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360104956956&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
Thank you in advance
Rod
San Francisco
It looks simple enough....a square based block (cube) with a square
hole in it of proper size and a 360 degree dial on the end. There's
probably a setscrew to lock the bit into the holder and the holder
into the block at the proper angle.
I'm still thinking you may need the tilting table to get the proper rake.
Nah , just rotate the holder to the correct angle , hold the block at an
angle to the stone . Rotation in two axes can produce an exact angle in the
third . That's how trim guys cut the miter angles in crown mold that's laid
flat in the saw .
--
Snag
Cabinet shop project man . Ever seen a $40k reception desk ?
Errol Groff
2008-11-12 23:42:16 UTC
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:22:44 -0800 (PST), rodjava
Post by rodjava
I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay.
So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow.
I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W0QQitemZ360104956956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360104956956&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
Thank you in advance
Rod
San Francisco
Rod:

Here are a couple of drawings for tool grinding jigs.

http://neme-s.org/How_To/

Errol Groff
Wild_Bill
2008-11-12 23:50:52 UTC
Here is an example of a tool holder for grinding lathe cutting tools, which
is a fabricated deep broach in a section of round stock, clamped in a
rectangular block which allows for any desired angle setting

http://www.kwagmire.com/tools/broach_tool.html

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html
San Francisco
rodjava
2008-11-20 19:24:49 UTC
Post by rodjava
I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay.
So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow.
I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W...66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
Thank you in advance
Rod
San Francisco- Hide quoted text -
Thank you all that responded to my question.
My use of a 5c collet block and square collet is working out
perfectly!
I hope to post a picture of it in use in the near future.

Rod